Saturday, May 10, 2008

'Ello there, darlings

'Ello from London!

Sorry I am such a horrible blogger. I am repenting now. You would think I would be better at this. So here goes ...

London is absolutely amazing! I love it! I have only been here about a week-and-a-half but I feel like I've already seen and done so many things. I have met some of the most amazing people here ... everyone is so friendly, nice, welcoming, and easy to get along with. I absolutely love both of my roommates and especially get along with my roommate Lauren. She's really funny and easy to get along with - we do pretty much everything together. I love the classes I'm taking here (except for the fact that my Theatre teacher - notice how I spelled theatre. ha - is assigning insane amounts of homework. blah) and going to see all the plays that we've been reading.

So far I've seen Shakespeare's Richard III and King Lear and War and Peace, a drama adaptation of Tolstoy's novel. I've also seen The Sleeping Beauty Ballet and The Lion King - both were so so good!

Other highlights of the trip include:
Going to Buckingham Palace
Going to the Tower of London (SO much awesome history here - it was first built in 1060. 1060! - it also houses the sight where Anne Boleyn's head was chopped off - morbid but kinda cool)
Going to the plays/ballet/Lion King
Going to Covent Garden (SO pretty and fun - lots of cool boutiques and shops)
Riding the tube (I've totally got the subway system here down)
Making new friends
Walking/running in Hyde Park (so pretty)
Going to King's Cross and seeing the "Platform 9 3/4" there (yay Harry Potter!)
Going to places I've read about in books or seen in movies
Eating fish and chips (I didn't really like it but it was worth the experience)
Listening to British people talk
Going to my new ward - it's 95% African and absolutely awesome! I'm in the primary!
St. Paul's Cathedral (so so so beautiful ... words can't describe and nor can pictures because they aren't allowed. so sad)
Burrough Market (way fun market with little food stands)
National Gallery (so cool! Works by Monet, Renoir, Da Vinci, Van Gogh are here)
Trafalgar Square
Riding on a double-decker bus
Seeing the replica of Shakespeare's Globe theatre
Just being in London. It's awesome.

Well, there's a little update on what I've been doing over across the pond.

Most frightening thing that's happened here:

When I was riding the tube home from church last Sunday a drunk British guy across from me was accusing the guy sitting next to me of looking at my legs and my friend Teri's legs (we had skirts on - knee length, mind you). Then he started swearing at him and calling him a pervert so the guy moved down to the other end of the train. Then the drunk guy got up, walked over to him, and punched him. The punched guy started crying. It was so sad and very scary because the guy was so unpredictable and I didn't know what he was going to do next (especially because I felt directly involved kind of). I felt really bad for the guy who got punched because he was very nice, wasn't doing anything wrong, and didn't speak English (he seemed pretty confused about riding the tube and now will have horror stories about it). And to think, all of this happened because of my beautiful legs. Haha, jk.

Love you all!

Love, Nicole

P.S. Check out the pictures I posted on facebook!

No comments: